Monday, May 2, 2016

My Journey to Broad Street

Given a choice of exercise methods, I would always list running near the bottom.  Even as a two-sport high school athlete, running was my nemesis.  See, I was also a two-sport high school athlete with exercise-induced asthma that had been diagnosed in my tweens.  I loved playing basketball, but the conditioning and running drills (aptly named “suicides”) made me dread every practice and, ultimately, convert to only a one-sport athlete.  Volleyball required much less running, but I still would get a sinking feeling in the pit of my abdomen at the thought of summer conditioning workouts drawing near.


Typically, the very first thing we would do on those agonizing August days would be running the fastest mile we could.  While my teammates would usually average a 7- or 8-minute/mile pace, I struggled to finish in under ten minutes despite trying my very hardest and feeling like I might keel over after crossing the finish line.  The coach typically dictated that anyone who couldn’t meet the President’s Physical Fitness Test passing time on the mile would be required to run it again at the end of practice, which itself consisted of at least two hours of jumping, hitting, lateral movement drills, and a series of grueling hill sprint repeats.  So, despite being a healthy weight and very active, I would always be running that second mile while nearly everyone else got to go home to their showers and relaxing summer afternoons.  Unsurprisingly, I never remember my time improving from the beginning to the end of practice--and it certainly would never have crossed my mind to go running on my own time to try to improve.

In college, I hit the gym hard and found I really enjoyed lifting weights.  Apparently my body composition was more designed for feats of brute strength than cardio endurance.  So, I got stronger but avoided running whenever possible—until senior year.  For some reason, I determined then that I would skip desserts and, whenever I felt like taking a nap (which was often!), I would go running instead.  No matter the temperature, out I would go, timing myself on my digital Timex wristwatch on the route I had measured out with my car, this being at least five years before ubiquitous GPS devices or IPods.  I think I jogged approximately 1 ½ miles each time, so no great distance, but, thanks to my 21-year-old metabolism, I found my physique trimming down quite a bit.  My roommate would often go for three-mile runs, which seemed preposterous to me at the time.

Once out of college, I moved to Charlottesville, Virginia and would run for one or two miles as the spirit moved me, which was irregularly and fairly infrequently.  My life was consumed with adjusting to being a beginner teacher, directing the theatre and speech programs, and working on my Master’s degree. During my last year south of the Mason-Dixon, my roommate and co-worker Liz and I signed up to run a 5K together.  It seemed daunting, and I was woefully ill-equipped to design a proper training program for myself.  I would use the elliptical at our apartment complex’s fitness room regularly and went for a few trail runs, but that first 5K truly seemed like a marathon to me.  I think my pace was over a 13-minute mile, and I remember a co-worker who was in her last trimester of pregnancy putting me to shame.  I thought that would be my last 5K, and certainly the concept of being a “runner” was so foreign.  I was just a random schlub who had run a single race—and pretty poorly at that.  “If I can’t do very well at the prime age of 26, when would I possibly be better?” I thought to myself.

Once I moved to Pennsylvania, I was back to my occasional leisurely runs of about two miles each.  My pace remained pathetic and my schedule haphazard, so the thought of running a race never even tripped across my radar.  After I got married and put on the most weight in a single year that I ever had (while my husband lost about the same amount, but that’s a story for another time), I finally decided I needed to join a gym and get committed to fitness.  So, in addition to lifting weights, I worked up to running about thirty minutes on the treadmill several times each week.  My pace improved, and I started thinking about races.  Running my next 5K, four years after that pathetic Charlottesville showing, became my goal.  I signed up with my friend Carolyn and ran, my pace barely improving from that first race. I remember scoffing when a stranger we encountered afterwards said, “You’re running 5Ks now, but soon you’ll want to do a 10K, and then a half marathon.”  I was disappointed but determined and signed up for another 5K, and my pace improved slightly.  I continued to be discouraged when people who hadn’t trained at all could show up and beat me, but I held on to hopes for improvement. A few months after that racing season ended, my gym unexpectedly closed.  And then I found out I was pregnant.

 Chalfont 5K, 2009
Finishing the Tex Mex 5K, 2009

Early in my pregnancy, I was determined to run until I couldn’t.  Or, shockingly, until I found out I was having twins, started getting contractions less than halfway through the pregnancy, and the doctors told me not to push myself physically.  Then, when the kids were born, I spent much of the next two years in a cloud of exhaustion as I nursed them and tried to keep them clean, safe, and well-fed.  Though I was able to lose most of my baby weight, my pre-baby shape was a distant memory.  Sometime during the summer of 2013, when the kids were 2 ½, I decided the era of Slug Mom must come to an end.  Knowing that consistency in going to a gym would be logistically nigh impossible with two toddlers and a full-time job, I got myself an iPhone, downloaded the Couch-to-5K App, signed up for the Ocean City 5K in a few months, laced up my sneakers, stepped out the front door, and away I went.   That first “run,” which required actual running in intervals of only a few minutes at a time, was more challenging than expected, but I faithfully worked my way through the program and watched my stamina improve.  I didn’t meet my lofty goals that first race, but it was a start, and I would run three or four more 5Ks through the course of the year that followed.  I was still a fair-weather runner without a treadmill, so I lost out on a lot of training hours by staying in on days it was rainy or snowy or dark or too hot or too humid or too cold.  So, my time improved, but only a little.

 After Day One of Couch-to-5K
Finishing the Ocean City 5K, 2013

In May of 2014, my husband’s company had achieved a major financial milestone and celebrated by providing a dinner party and one night’s stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Philadelphia for each employee and a guest.  The morning of check-out, I distinctly remember looking out the window of the breakfast area and seeing the runners come down Broad Street for the Broad Street Run, the nation’s largest 10-mile race and “the race” to enter in Southeastern Pennsylvania. At that moment, I decided that my pathetic 5K-running self would do that someday.  When registration rolled around in February 2015, I hadn’t been working out much at all that winter and chickened out but then trained almost as if I would be running.  This past winter, in an attempt to eliminate all excuses, I got myself a headlamp, reflective gear, and snow trax for my shoes and determined that only a blizzard or thick ice on the roads would keep me from my runs.  So, when lottery entry for Broad Street came this year, I was ready.

Yesterday, in pouring rain and 40-degree temperatures, “someday” arrived. I was joined in this adventure by two supremely encouraging friends and exceeded my conservative goal time.  Looking back on it, it seemed like an out-of-body experience.  For the most part, despite the rain and the cold, despite the distance I had never done before, I felt good—better even than in most 5Ks I had run.  It was a memorable day, and only in the best ways.  I was far from the fastest there, and most people would be unimpressed by my pace, but it was a personal victory and a definitive answer to my 26-year-old doubting self.

Before the race, I had been telling myself I would never run a race of this length again.  It had been too hard, taken too much of a toll on my body.  It had required twice weekly physical therapy on my knee and many missed dinners with my family.  It had demanded the most strenuous and time-consuming training during the most stressful part of my school year; after all, when you are a slow as I am, long runs take that much longer!  And yet, in the recesses of my mind, those areas reserved for my most impractical thoughts, I can picture myself running down Broad Street again.  And, even though I am committed to taking this week off to heal from some of the strain that has been affecting my body, I caught myself thinking today, “I’d really like to go for a run.”
 Waiting to start the race
Broad Street finishers, 2016

No comments: