Friday, October 31, 2008

Mixed Emotions

What a strange week this has been--on so many fronts. On Saturday, I spoke to my grandmother for the last time over the phone. She sounded so weak and strained. On Sunday, I got a call from my father that she died around 1:00 that afternoon. On Monday, the Phillies threw out the first pitch for Game 5 of the World Series, which turned into a farce after MLB Commissioner Bud Selig waited perhaps twenty minutes too long to suspend the game (the score at that point: 2-2) due to the torrential rain that was making conditions hazardous all over the field. On Tuesday, I worked a half-day, and then Chris and I drove 4 1/2 hours to the Johnstown, PA area for the late viewing for my grandmother. On Wednesday, I attended my grandmother's funeral at 11:00 AM. It was truly as beautiful and complimentary a funeral as anyone on this earth could every hope to have; my grandmother was loved by many, many people--not the least of which being her nine children, 21 grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandson. It's worth noting that it was windy and snowing heavily all Tuesday night through Wednesday. After the funeral luncheon, Chris and I drove back home, where we witnessed the Phillies play an un-precedented 3 1/2 inning playoff game to win the World Series. It has been so crazy around here the last few days, and today so many students were out of school to attend the parade in the city that I only had five of nineteen students in my homeroom. It should be noted here that the weather had changed to sunny and 60's. I have been excited for the Phils, who I've supported since I was little, but then it hits me that I will never see my grandmother again. I haven't been able to see her as often as I would like since I moved away from home, but there has just always been the subconscious sense that she is there. And now she's not. It has truly been a strange week. Oh, and today is Halloween.

No comments: